Baton Rouge, La. (WAFB) – On Wednesday, February 19, the attempts of Baton Rouge police officers to reject a case related to the “brave cave” were closed by a federal judge. This case is accused of employees Matthew Wallace, Catherine Alvarado-Crus and former BRPD officer Troy Lawrence Jr. from all striptease participants in striptease. This claims that it happened after it was drawn and taken to the bold cave after the officers found a bottle of pills with a mixture of medicines in their bag, which is not illegal.
Employees’ lawyers tried to receive the case, claiming that employees were within their obligations during this interaction, which is called a proposal for rejection on the basis of qualified immunity. Today, Judge John W. Degravel denied this proposal.
Lawyer Ryan Thompson represents the grandmother in this case and told WAFB that this is a big step in the right direction for the plaintiffs. In his decision to refuse the rejection of the case, Judge Degravel noted that employees could violate more laws.
“It was huge, it was a signal that I believe to us if we decide to change the complaint – and we are, to change the complaint, to include a conspiracy for cakes, batteries, attacks that the judge believes we have a plausible statement With regard to the statement of conspiracy, “said Thompson.
Legal expert Franz Borgard said he believed that Judge Degravel’s decision was correct, on the basis of allegations, if the allegations were correct. He told WAFB that the officers would probably try again.
“Police officers’ attorneys can appeal this decision to the fifth round, which is generally standard in civil rights,” Borhard said. “This is not a test, so it is not a victory of Slam Dunk for the claimants, but this is the first obstacle they must pass to have a viable claim for civil rights in the federal court.”
Thomspon said that nevertheless the decision in their favor, the legal battle is far from over and costs taxpayers’ money, the longer continues. He also said it was too early East Baton Rouge to discuss the return of these teams to the police station.
“Even if it is found that employees are not provided with qualified immunity, taxpayers must pay for it. But there is no resort to taxpayers. So. This is a big deal today, “said Thompson. “The people were wrong, the children were wrong, the citizens were wrong. The least should apologize to them, not to understand the news that they are talking about the return of specialized units with these officers. “
So far, Thompson says they will start opening and move forward with the case.
Click here To report a typo. Please include the title.
Click here To subscribe to our WAFB 9 News Digy Digest and Breaking News Alerts, delivered directly to your mailbox.
Copyright 2025 WAFB. All rights reserved.